Through Physical Education children gain confidence and competence in physical skills. The school has good facilities for indoor sports and uses the playground and field for outdoor pursuits. Pupils cover three areas of sport at Key Stage 1, namely - gymnastics, dance and games, and six areas at Key Stage 2, namely - gymnastics, dance, games, swimming, athletics and outdoor and adventurous activities. Within the local area, regular joint sporting events are held throughout the year including football, netball, rounders, tag-rugby, cricket, basketball, athletics and swimming. We are very pleased that so many pupils (particularly in KS2) choose to be involved in the wide range of extra curricular sport provided by the school.
We aim to ensure that all children can swim by the time they leave our school. Swimming lessons provided by qualified instructors are offered to children in Years 3 and 4. We use the pool in Mildenhall town for this purpose.
Lakenheath’s sporting aims:
· To encourage enjoyment of physical activity.
· To develop the ability to use the skills they have learnt in movement related activity.
· To promote positive attitudes to health, hygiene and fitness.
· To develop a knowledge of safe practice in sport.
· To develop effective communication and co-operation skills.
· To improve observational skills and the ability to assess effectiveness of performance.